POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Another medieval structure : Re: Another medieval structure Server Time
2 Aug 2024 12:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Another medieval structure
From: RusHHouR
Date: 5 Jul 2007 10:30:01
Message: <web.468cff68813017247d3ae5e0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:

> I certainly like it. Looks like a fortified mansion. In the Middle Ages,
> building in stone was reserved for the rich, so most buildings were made of
> wood (hence the many fires; remember London in 1666). So, I believe this is
> too expensive to be a tavern... but never mind :-)  These kind of buildings
> (are you planning more?) could be great for the creation of some kind of
> town... (oh... just thinking of the Discworld...)
>
> Now for a couple of comments:
> The use of image_maps is alright, but be aware that they should be in
> balance with the structure and the people living there. The stones appear
> alright at first glance, however I think they are a bit oversized if you
> imagine a person in front; also in comparison with the size of door and
> windows. The wood beam textures should certainly be scaled down. They appear
> too large imo.
> What Are you going to do for the roof? Slates? Tiles? Thatch?
>
> Thomas

Thanks a lot Thomas!

Im gonna scale the texture down and see what becomes.

And no, it's no part of a greater plan. Not that I know of this very moment
anyway. :) Just started with a box to get a look at the stonewall texture.
And then I go, what would a door look like on this wall. And thereafter,
what kind of window would fit to this... etc, etc..

Would be cool to make a animation sweeping through a medieval village
though... Hehe.. But my god the render times! :O

About the roof, staying "in character", a grass roof wouldnt do for the rich
I guess. (*cough* And I have tried and errored it already... *cough*) So I
guess some kind of thatch should be suitable, yes. ;)